Sunday, February 19, 2012

Veggie Brown Rice Wraps

So the last little while I've been looking for recipes that encompass healthy eating and amazing flavor.  Last night I hit pay dirt!!   This is my new favorite food.  Here's the recipe:

1 medium sweet red or green pepper
1 C sliced fresh mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T olive oil
2 C cooked brown rice
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 C corn
1/4 C chopped green onions
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
6 flour tortillas (8 inch) warmed
1/2 C cheddar cheese
3/4 C salsa

In a large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and garlic in the olive oil until tender.  Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so until all is heated through.  Spoon 3/4 C onto each tortilla.  Sprinkle with cheese; drizzle with salsa.  Fold tortilla and serve immediately!!

I ate three the first time I made them.  They were too good!!  I also froze the leftovers to see if it would work.  I'll let you know!!

These come out of the freezer beautifully and are really good on multi-grain tortillas instead.  I thawed the mix in the microwave then hit the frying pan one more time and they were great as leftovers.  I think I'll make a triple batch and freeze tons!!

No comments:

Post a Comment